Passenger Assistance is an app that you can use to book assistance on trains. It’s been created in consultation with disabled people who have a range of access needs, and they have also helped develop and test the app’s features. An accessibility panel also steered the direction of the app.
It’s not mandatory to use the app to book assisted train travel in the UK, but it has been designed to simplify the process, especially for those with access needs. In order to use the Passenger Assistance app, you need to do the following:
- Download the app
- Create an account
- Set up your profile
- Request assistance
Read on for more details on the above steps.
Download the Passenger Assistance app
To use Passenger Assistance you can either download the mobile app or access it through the web version. The app is compatible with screen readers. It’s available for download via the App Store or Google Play.
Create an account
Once you’ve downloaded the app, you will need to create an account. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open the Passenger Assistance app.
- Select a colour theme.
- You will now have the choice to view or ‘skip’ a quick introduction to the app. This introduction briefly explains what you can do with the app.
- Click ‘Sign up’ and provide your email and password. Make sure you provide a strong password by making it at least 8 characters long and including a lowercase letter, an uppercase letter, a special character, and at least one number.
- Click ‘Create an account’.
- A confirmation email containing a 6-digit verification code will be sent to the email address you provided. Enter the code to verify your email address and create your account.
Set up your profile
After creating your account, you need to set up your profile. This does not take long to do but is important as it ensures any assistance you request will cater to all of your access needs.
Watch the above videos or follow the instructions below to set up your profile.
- Add a photo. This is optional, but it can help station staff recognise you.
- Enter your name and contact details. You do not have to provide your phone number, though it can be useful to receive information about your journey.
- Select the access considerations that are applicable to you. A range of mobility impairments, sensory impairments, and non-visible impairments are listed in the text and pictorially. Click the ‘i’ symbols for more information.
- Provide any further information you would like to share about your access needs in the ‘Other notes’ field.
- Click ‘Save details’. Your profile is now set up.
Now that you’ve created an account and set up your profile, it’s easy to book assistance for a train journey. Simply open up the app. You will automatically land on the ‘New Journeys’ tab. This is where you provide the details of your trip.
Watch the above videos or follow the instructions below to request assistance.
- Enter your departure and arrival stations.
- Select the date and time of your journey.
- Select the number of passengers and the connection time (if applicable).
- Select ‘Find trains’. You will be shown a list of trains, and you can select the one you will be travelling on.
- Review your journey details. Click ‘Select train’.
- Select your access needs for the journey. Use the ‘Other notes’ field to provide any additional information. Then click ‘Save’.
- Review the details and click ‘Confirm details’. You will receive a notification and an email from Passenger Assistance once the request is made. You will also receive a notification and email from Passenger Assistance when the booking is confirmed.
If the details of your journey change, or if you need to cancel your booking, you can easily edit or delete your booking on the ‘New Journeys’ tab.
During the journey
When you arrive at your departure station, you can either go to the meeting point provided in your booking, go to a Help Point, or contact station staff to inform them that you have requested assistance for your train journey. If you need it, there is a reference number for your assistance in the confirmation email.
If you’re curious, then read or watch some examples of real-life journeys using the Passenger Assistance app. And if you have any questions or require help, then please get in touch using our contact form. We wish you a pleasant journey!